ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

30 SECOND CRASHING FIXED BY ZOINKITY

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: 30 SECOND CRASHING FIXED BY ZOINKITY Reply with quote Back to top

" Figured it out. It has nothing to do with the
21990, in fact. The byte at 0x71407 was changed from
20->80. That causes an incremental loop of doom,
eventually kills a pointer, and that's when things go
-really- bad.

So, *Don't change 71407 to 80!* Leave it at 0x20.

To fix existing roms, I made a patch;*) Use it on
unbyteswapped roms, which are probably the most common
nowadays. If the ROM has the bug this squashes it,
otherwise nothing happens. Might require a checksum
revalidation. Tested it in Nemu which doesn't even
bother with that. Gotta love Nemu ;*)

The patch is attached, and it is also available
here:
http://www.geocities.com/nefariousdogooder/downloads/30secMPpatch.zip

Remember, apply only to non-byteswapped NGEE roms.
"

The editor has been updated to not do this, so reinstall the editor everyone! Also beta one has been updated those in the know, grab that if using it instead.

http://www.rarewitchproject.com/media/misc/goldeneyesetupeditorinstaller2.exe

Last edited by SubDrag on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent work. Smile
I'll definitely have to give this a test once I get back home.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. I've started getting complaints from three people (according to the IPs on the emails despite the ~30 unique names) that the patch doesn't stop the crashing, only delays it.

Has anyone had a problem with it so far, or are these people just nuts?

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It works for me, and I run around the map blowing of rockets in all directions just to see if it bogs down. After the patch, it hasn't crashed a single time at random in-game, and my play-tests range from 2 minutes to 15.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got a fourth one claiming it fails after 20-30 minutes of play. Don't see why it would, but can anybody confirm this under any condition? This is an important enough fix that it needs attending to.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is, that with emulation, crashing is bound to happen at some point. I've had totally clean ROM's crash on me at random moments. Though I haven't gotten a chance to test your fix, it's probably safe to say that some of these claims are likely due to an emulator issue that caused the game to die. And, let's not forget, not everyone knows what their doing when using patches. I've even had the odd one not work correctly.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Two more claim it fails between 20-30 minutes.

I'd normally say user-error, but the reports are very consistent.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The original bug only applied to multiplayer. I can only test on console. Emulators run at a maximum 5fps, but closer to 1-2 with stuff running. I'm well under spec - low enough that it shouldn't run at all if not for some wizardry involved.

I've been emailing for more information but as of yet nobody has responded. So, it's being done blind. Still, its consistent enough that this may all be related.
May I also add most are fairly irate, for obvious reasons.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alrighty, I've finally gotten to check this out personally. All I did was manually change the 0x80 value at 0x71407 into 0x20 for my Lucerne Tower Foyer ROM. No crashing after approximately thirty seconds. Infact, it's been playing for a few minutes now, and is still running in the background as I type this. Hehe, every few keystrokes I hear either a gunshot or pause sound. Not sure if this is a 'complete' fix, but considering it's lasted atleast five minutes or longer thus far, I'd say it's a massive improvement. I'll let it continue to play for a little while, just to see what happens.

Now I can update the crash-ridden patches for the rest of the PD maps. Very Happy

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

(and lets not forget redo tile #s for clipping)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did a full First to 20 Points in Lucerne Tower Foyer. It lasted about twenty minutes and encountered no problems whatsoever. The Complex is loaded now, which started directly after my last match. It's been running for eight minutes or so, with guns firing wildly. Seems as though this fix really did it this time. All impact images and sound effects are proper, and zero crashing. Awesome stuff, Zoinkity.

The redo tile ID's would only be needed for any stage that has a clipping file already done for it, correct? Such as the G5 Building CS, Car Park, Grid, Chicago, Skedar CS and Villa CS? The rest of the stages are blank, or have had a very small section made for them.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the new ones don't bother, it's not needed until someone adds clipping, then hopefully they're just using the new editor. Also make sure you redo pllinks.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

G5, Car Park, Citadel, Chicago, or anything else I've touched don't need the pad update.

Good that its stable. Okay, this is put to rest. The thread can probably just be deleted now. Admins?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll just close it up and leave it be. Might be good to keep for reference one day. Plus, if I forget the address in ROM that needs correcting while doing the PD texture patches, I'll have a place to find it.

By the way, the ROM was running for about an hour and twenty minutes by the time I closed it. Tried multiple different levels and shot stuff up all over the place. Only problem that occured was that Mupen64K++ Beta froze up when attempting to close the ROM. Could have just been from having it on for so long. Besides, it is still Beta, afterall.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: