ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Triangles, Transparency, and Making Triggers/Paths Viewable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeard99
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Triangles, Transparency, and Making Triggers/Paths Viewable? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I have been experimenting with this GoldenEye Editor tool and was able to load the game, clone an object, then inject the change into the rom. Trying to do a couple things but not sure how.

The steps I have been doing are to open the level, clone, Select Quick Convert to Rom, then open Game Configuration, then Write Rom.

1) I would like to be able to delete selected Triangles. However whenever I make a change to either of those properties, and select Quick Convert to Rom, the changes revert back to the original. How can I make the deletions and write to rom without losing the changes?

2) Similar to above, but adding Transparency to selected Triangles, then be able to write to a rom without the changes disappearing.

3) How could I make the triggers and paths displayed in the Visual Editor viewable in the new rom? I would like them to be viewable but have no collision.

Thanks!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Triangles, Transparency, and Making Triggers/Paths Viewa Reply with quote Back to top

In general, the quick convert is there just for fast and simple edits to the setup files. If you want to edit the geometry, you should enter the Game Configuration menu under Tools. It'll be a big menu with a lot of stuff in it, but for editing levels you only need to focus on the left side of the first screen.

The top-left dropdown will let you choose a level. Once you do, there are several buttons nearby, one of which is "Edit Solo Level in Visual"; that will open the level in the visual editor you've used before. Once you make your setup and geometry edits, you can go back to the Game Config menu and press the other button called "Import Solo Setup/Level from Visual"; this button that mentions both Setup and Level will import all of the current level's files into the Game Config.

When you're ready to test, look at the bottom of the Game Config menu for the "Write ROM with 21990 Mods" button and click it. This will save a ROM with your current changes.

TheBeard99 wrote:
2) Similar to above, but adding Transparency to selected Triangles, then be able to write to a rom without the changes disappearing.

Adding transparency isn't something I've done before, so I don't feel confident in answering this. But if you already knew and were just asking how to save, then we're good, then.

TheBeard99 wrote:
3) How could I make the triggers and paths displayed in the Visual Editor viewable in the new rom? I would like them to be viewable but have no collision.

This I know is impossible with the editor. I'm not aware of any previous mod that's done this before in GE. The paths being viewable in the editor is an interpretation of the data. There's no code in GE that can render them, I believe.

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Triangles, Transparency, and Making Triggers/Paths Viewa Reply with quote Back to top

TheBeard99 wrote:
Hello, I have been experimenting with this GoldenEye Editor tool and was able to load the game, clone an object, then inject the change into the rom. Trying to do a couple things but not sure how.

The steps I have been doing are to open the level, clone, Select Quick Convert to Rom, then open Game Configuration, then Write Rom.

1) I would like to be able to delete selected Triangles. However whenever I make a change to either of those properties, and select Quick Convert to Rom, the changes revert back to the original. How can I make the deletions and write to rom without losing the changes?

Thanks!

1) Like Lazlo said, import your stage through the Game Configuration window. You can edit from it as long as you remember to load that new ROM again and hit Edit Solo Setup in Visual.

2) In Edit Room Positions mode, shift right click the triangles you want to edit, select Replace Triangles/Group Texture/Details
Ensure Advanced Options is ticked in the new window
Change the texture to an ID that can be transparant (pure black background)
Make sure Transparent is Ticked
Make Sure the Combiner Set is ticked and the Actual is
Code:
FC26A0041F1493FF
(you can paste that in there)
Make Sure the Render Mode Set is Ticked and the Actual is
Code:
C81049D8

Hit OK
Import via Game Configuration like Lazlo said

3) I'm not aware of any way to display AI path nodes or patrols ingame, nor any mod to display them.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

TheBeard99
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for your replies. I will have some time on the weekend to test things out. Too bad about the paths or triggers not being able to be changed to objects.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
There's no code in GE that can render them, I believe.

Very likely true. There was a debug feature called show patrols that would plot all paths as lines. Selecting the feature sets a flag, but nothing appears to catch the flag anymore. It's one of eight debug features that no longer has any (known) code attached. Shame, it would have been quite useful.

As far as doing those triggers, you could always place a dummy object with no collision at the same location then remove it before releasing a stage. That's how a large number of other games debug things, based on what prototypes have turned up. TWINE didn't even remove them, just made them invisible. They used differently-shaped boxes and a camera-shaped object for all the important stuff, then just skipped rendering them in final.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: